Giving Native Nods
1. If you agree with another native speaker’s correction, press the ‘Good’ button. 2. Doing so will increase the number next to the icon on the other native speaker’s profile. It shows they are a reliable corrector. 3. If you’d like to undo your correction point, click on [Ungood]. ** You cannot give a native nots to a correction made on your own journal...
In general, we recommend users use Google Chrome as their Web browser when browsing Lang-8. For ideal results, use the following settings: + Windows user OS: Windows 7 browser: Google Chrome 18.0 or higher / Firefox 11.0 or higher + Macintosh user OS: Mac OS X 10.5 or higher browser: Google Chrome 18.0 or higher / Mozilla Firefox 11.0 or later **If you have trouble using Lang-8 functions...
Viewing Lang-8 on a smartphone
If you access http://lang-8.com/ with a smartphone, you’ll automatically be directed to the Smartphone-view of Lang-8. 1. To use the PC-view on your smartphone Tap the [PC] tab at the bottom of the page. 2. To return to Smartphone view Tap the [Smartphone View] at the top of the page.
Viewing menus on a smartphone
1. Tap the folder icon at the top right corner. 2. The menus will show up. You can access each item by tapping it.
Writing A Journal Entry (Smartphone)
1. Tap the [Home] tab at the bottom of the page to switch to the Home menu 2. Tap the [“Write” ] icon at the top-left corner of Home menu. 3. You’ll be directed to the entry editing page. Enter a title and compose your entry. Don’t forget to set what language you want help with, and who to share the entry with. Tap [Publish] to post the journal. If you tap...
How can I correct an entry? (Smartphone)
1. Open the journal you’d like to correct, and then tap [Post Comment and Corrections] below the body. 2. You’ll be directed to the editing page. Tap the sentence you want to correct. 3. The editing form will be show up. Replace the original text with the corrected one as below. After editing, click on [Replace]. ( * Your correction is not complete yet! ) 4. Icons will...
A specific user(s) is harassing me. Can you do...
Basically, we won’t intervene in conflicts between users. Therefore, we cannot delete a specific user’s account or entries, except when they are spammers. However, it’s possible to block the harmful user by yourself. For details, please refer to “Can I block a specific user?”
I’d like to change my payment method to new one...
Please follow these steps. 1. First cancel your premium account. 2. Make sure that your remaining premium account days have expired. You can check how many days remain at http://lang-8.com/premium 3. Sign up for premium again with the new payment method.
I’d like to change my payment method from monthly...
*The annual payment ( $63 /year ) is available only by Paypal payment. *You cannot choose the annual payment with a credit card payment. Please follow these steps. 1. Cancel your premium account at http://lang-8.com/premium 2. Please wait until your remaining premium account days have expired. You can check how many days remain at http://lang-8.com/premium 3. Sign up for premium again,...
I want to change the credit card I have used for...
Please follow these steps. 1. Cancel your premium account. 2. Make sure that your remaining premium account days have expired. You can check how many days remain at http://lang-8.com/premium 3. Sign up for premium again with a new credit card.
How can I report spam messages?
You can report spam with the following methods. Please look at the bottom right-hand corner of the “message details”, and you can find the link “Report Spam” Or Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with spammer’s ID number. Here’s a sample spam message. Please be careful NOT to Email them directly. **** Hello My Dear, My name is nancy, i saw your profile today at( www.babbel.com)...
How can I accept "My Friends Invitation"?
1. If you receive a “My Friends” invitation from other members, a blue-colored notification shows up at the top of your individual page. 2. Click on “X new friend request(s)!” to jump to the confirmation page. You can choose “Accept” or “Deny” as below. If you click on [Accept], you’ll be added on the sender’s friend list. If...
How can I add members to "my friends" list ?
If you have some members you’d like to add your friend list, click on the user name and then you can access the user’s profile page. In order to send a “My Friends ” invitation, click on [ +Add friend ]. You can edit messages attached to “My Friends” invitations Once you click on [Send], the invitation will be sent to the member. If the invitation is...
Where's the waiting list of members who have sent...
Please use the following link to access the waiting list. http://lang-8.com/friends/confirm A. If the notifications aren’t showing up on your home page If notifications on your home page aren’t showing up, please try following things. 1, Please delete your browser cache. or 2, Please type ctrl+r. Then it should work fine. B. in case you have received a notification e-mail, but you cannot...
I cannot receive an e-mail from @lang-8.com
1. Please check your spam folder. 2. Make sure that your mail settings doesn’t have the filter that block e-mails from @lang-8.com
Notifications aren't showing up at the top of your...
If notifications on your home page aren’t showing up, please try following things. 1, Please delete your browser cache. 2, Please type ctrl+r. Then it should work fine.
What do the 3 icons on a profile page mean?
:the number of times you have corrected a journal :the number of times you were given a star rating. :the number of times you were given a thumbs up.
What does "my language matches" mean?
Users who have logged-in within the last week are generally divided into 3 categories. Don’t hesitate to make new friends and learn at the same time. We encourage you to get to know more language exchange partners and correct one another’s entries. Category A: Perfect match: You are studying their native language and they are studying yours. Category B: Tutor You are studying their...
Isn't there variation in language proficiency...
Language ability varies to some extent even among native speakers. However, for typical foreign language students, being corrected by a native speaker is extremely helpful, as native speakers can point out the subtle nuances and original meaning of words and instinctively understand the essentials of the language. Besides, it is better to learn not just from books and from lessons, but also...
What is the "language flag" ?
With the “language flag,” you set the language that you would like corrected. (e.g. If you wrote a journal in English, the “language flag” should be “English”) The ”language flag” will help native speakers find your journal entry easily.
I want to delete my draft.
1. Click on “write” on the top of the main page, or click on “Write a new entry” below your profile picture. 2. You’ll be directed to the edit page. You can delete drafts by clicking on the ““icons next to draft titles. Or after clicking a draft title, you can also delete the draft by clicking “Delete Draft” as below.
I want to edit my draft.
1. Click on “write” at the top of the main page, or click on “Write a new entry” below your profile picture. 2. Your saved draft shows up on the right side of the edit page. Please click on the draft you’d like to modify. 3. After editing your draft; if you want to post the journal without confirming the contents, click on “Publish”. If you want to post the journal after...
How to save a journal entry as a draft?
1. Click on “write” at the top of the main page, or click on “Write a new entry” below your profile picture. 2. Set the “Language flag”, and enter the title and the body. 3. Click on “Save Draft”, and then your draft will be saved. 4. You can see your saved draft on the right side of this page.
I want to change or not display the number of...
1. Click on your username at the top right corner of a page, and then choose “Settings”. 2. Under “entries waiting to be corrected”, “my friends’ new entries” etc. on the main “display settings” page, you can choose to display or hide the number of entries shown.
I'd like to limit who can access my journal...
4 options are available under “access settings” at the bottom of the “Post a new entry” page. Using the options under the “settings” menu you can change the overall level of access (Please note that the access settings of recent posts will not be changed). The 4 access setting options are as follows. Public : All internet users, even non-Lang-8 users, will be able to search...
How can I upload a picture?
You can post an entry with pictures. 1. Click on “Find files” to search and select a picture to upload. (** Pictures must be GIF, JPEG or PNG format, and less than 300 kilobytes) 2. If you’d like to delete an uploaded picture, click on “Delete” next to the picture.
I want to delete a posted journal entry.
1. On your entry list page, click on “Edit” below the entry you’d like to modify. Or open the entry page, and click on “Edit” at the top right corner. 2. You’ll be directed to the edit page. You can delete it by clicking on “Delete”
I'd like to edit a submitted journal entry.
1. On your entry list page, click on “Edit” below the entry you’d like to modify. Or open the entry page, and click on “Edit” at the top right corner 2. You’ll be directed to the edit page. After modifying, if you want to post the journal without confirming the contents, click on “Publish”. if you want to post the journal after confirming the contents,...
How do I write a journal entry?
1. Click on “write” at the top of a page, or click on “Write a new entry” below your profile picture. 2. Then you’ll be directed to a diary entry page. Write your journal in the “Text(*)” box, fill in “Title(*)”, “Topic tags” and set the “Language flag(*)” and “Access settings(*)”. ((*) is a required...
How do I comment on a correction made?
1. Once you click on [Quote] , you can add comments on a specific correction made by another user. 2. You can write your comment about the correction in the comment box. 3. Once you click on [Reply], your comment will be uploaded. 4. If you’d like to cancel this comment, you can delete it by clicking on the button.